Welcome Art Fans! Thanks for following my art adventures in sharing ideas, paintings, insights and helpful information! Latest News -- Studio News- My latest painting entitled, "Crossroads at Twilight" was inspired by evening walks in my Bayou Highlands neighborhood. The figures in the foreground were purely "artistic invention." I included them to heighten the mood of the piece. I love the way the palm trees and other foliage take on a glow just before sunset. It was early September when I shot reference photos and the skies were particularly dramatic. "Crossroads at Twilight" 24" x 18" Oil on Stretched Canvas Evolution of a painting--progressive steps from preliminary sketch to later stages. The Woodfield Fine Art Gallery , has changed location! It now occupies a charming space in the heart of the Grand Central District of downtown St. Petersburg, Fl. The gallery's inviting atmosphere is filled with...
Popular posts from this blog
Vagabonds
Hi Everyone! It’s been a busy couple of weeks since my last post. Just completed this new oil painting, “Beach Vagabonds.” I was drawn to this group of unrelated figures, coming and going, all caught up in their own worlds. To my mind it represents the typical assortment of beach denizens walking side by side while completely oblivious to one another. I enjoy exploring this theme of “ships that pass in the night.” So many people, yet we get to interact with so few in the course of a lifetime. I have always gravitated toward other artists whose paintings deal with this concept. Edward Hopper comes to mind as a master of illustrating a certain “human disconnect” in his work. There’s a loneliness attached to his paintings even when more than one person is present. Detail On my bookstand: A few weeks back, I received a lovely gift in the mail from my dear sister-in-law Mary, entitled, “Growing Up with the Impressionists” by Jane Robert...
Hi Everyone! My latest oil painting, “The Lobby,” is completed, framed and delivered to the Woodfield Fine Art Gallery in St. Petersburg, Fl. This large format piece of 30" x 40" with multiple figures and architectural elements was challenging. The lighting effect presented a challenge as well, but I was pleased with the overall glow achieved. As in my other paintings, I like that the figures seem detached from each other even though they share the same space. Most are absorbed in their cell phones, caught up in their own separate worlds. One of my favorite artists, Edward Hopper, explored similar themes in his work. I recommend what I feel is the definitive biography on the artist, “Edward Hopper, An Intimate Biography,” by Gail Levin. It’s an in depth look into his artistic development and also deals with his private life and times. It contains color reproductions of his most famous pieces as well. Last week's topic for my class “Simple Steps to...
Comments
Post a Comment