Hi Everyone!
My latest oil painting, “The Lobby,” is completed, framed and delivered to the Woodfield Fine Art Gallery in St. Petersburg, Fl.  This large format piece of 30" x 40" with multiple figures and architectural elements was challenging. The lighting effect presented a challenge as well, but I was pleased with the overall glow achieved. As in my other paintings, I like that the figures seem detached from each other even though they share the same space. Most are absorbed in their cell phones, caught up in their own separate worlds. 
One of my favorite artists, Edward Hopper, explored similar themes in his work. I recommend what I feel is the definitive biography on the artist, “Edward Hopper, An Intimate Biography,” by Gail Levin. It’s an in depth look into his artistic development and also deals with his private life and times.  It contains color reproductions of his most famous pieces as well.


Last week's topic for my class “Simple Steps to Painting Success” offered at the Beach Art Center in Indian Rocks Beach, FL was the use of "light and contrast." I did a demo painting to better illustrate how a strong lighting effect can heighten interest in your paintings.  In my work I like to juxtapose intense dark areas against brightly lit areas to achieve paintings that are filled with light. The above photos show the painting from start to finish beginning with a simple line drawing, progressing to a monochromatic value painting and finally the completed painting. 
To register for my classes, please contact the Beach Art Center on line or call (727) 596-4331.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog